“I have got used to catnapping for 20 minutes,” she says. “I have only had two sleeps of over an hour since I’ve been on board. You listen for danger in your sleep; the sail starts flapping and I am wide awake. The first week I was so frightened I slept with my eyes open.” Has she regretted her adventure? “Every other hour for the first week, but the support has been great. I can read messages on the website; there is so much goodwill.”
“I was finally lying in my bunk, resting before I made dinner, when I heard a bang,” she says. “I jumped on deck to see a huge lump of ice on my port side. I was excited, amazed and quite scared. I just thought: what more can be thrown at me?”
“I had forgotten how cold and horrible it was,” says Caffari, who previously made the voyage with a full crew. Vast waves hurl the boat in the air, leaving it to crash down in the swell: “You feel like you are permanently sat on a rollercoaster. You feel weightless and your stomach goes as you wait for it to crash down.”
Monday, January 09, 2006
It’s so lonely fighting the seven seas
This article is amazing. It's the story of a woman who's sailing around the world "backwards", from east to west. Some sweet bits:
No comments:
Post a Comment